Should we have an Australian Constitution?
The information on this website has been provided to explain a proposal to relocate Australia’s federal Constitution from where it is currently located – as part of a United Kingdom Act of Parliament – to an Australian document.
- To see where Australia’s Constitution sits in the United Kingdom Act, go to: Find our Constitution
- For a snapshot of the proposal, go to either:
- To read a short article about the proposal, go to: Should we have an Australian Constitution
- For a more in-depth study of the proposal, go to: Concept Draft
- To find out more about Australia’s Constitution and its history, go to: Links
John Christensen is a retired lawyer with 40 years experience as a legislative drafter in Australia and overseas. He has been a visiting lecturer in Legislative Processes at the University of Canberra, and has lectured in a similar course at the Australian National University, Canberra.
The author gratefully acknowledges the assistance provided by Peter Christensen, for graphics and Alex Digan, and colleagues, for library services.